Monday, June 20: Summer Reading List
By Doug Fabrizio
Salt Lake City, UT – Summer's finally here, and with it a chance to catch up on your reading. Doug is joined by Betsy Burton of The King's English, Ken Sanders of Ken Sanders Rare Books and Catherine Weller and Janet Lund of Sam Weller's Zion Bookstore. They'll let you know what's on the must-read list for the season.
- Check back for a complete list of books mentioned during today's RadioWest.
From Ken Sanders, Ken Sanders Rare Books
- Prince, Gregory A. and Wm. Robert Wright. David O. McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism .
- Briney, Drew. Understanding Adam God Teachings: A Comprehensive Resource of Adam God Materials. A comprehensive compilation of all known statements concerning the controversial Adam-God teachings declared as both heresy and revelation by LDS church leaders.
- Firsts: The Book Collector's Magazine June, 2005 Issue. Includes articles on "British Spies and Politicians" as well as "More Decorated Covers
- Harrison, Jim. Livingston Suite. Letterpress edition of 750 copies sewn by hand into pictoral wrappers with Japanese endpapers. Limberlost Press is a small publisher of fine poetry books Based in Boise, Idaho. They produce limited runs of unpublished work by local and nationally known poets. Acclaimed novelist, poet, and journalist Jim Harrison is the author of Legends of the Fall and many other beloved books.
- Jones, Gerard. Men of Tomorrow. The true story of Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster and the birth of Superman. Includes 16 pages of black and white photos depicting Siegel, Shuster and pals as well as early comic book covers.
- Dunning, John. The Sign of the Book. The long awaited fourth novel in mystery writer John Dunning's renowned Cliff Janeway series.
- Bowden, Charles. A Shadow in the City: Confessions of an Undercover Drug Warrior. "Joey O'Shay is a cop with a genius for the drug bust. But after more than two decades undercover, he's no longer so certain who the heroes of the drug war are, or what the fight is for. Still, he never feels so alive as when he's doing a deal. So this time he sets out to test himself against the elite of the drug business, the Colombians and their fine, pure heroin. Maybe he'll finally meet his match."
- Ford, Don Henry Jr. Contrabando: Confessions of a Drug Smuggling Cowboy .
- Aitchison, Stewart. A Guide to Southern Utah's Hole-in-the-Rock Trail. Illustrated with maps and black & white photographs.
- Frasier, George Corning; edited by Frederick H. Swanson; foreward by Hal k. Rothman. Journeys in the Canyon Lands of Utah and Arizona, 1914-1916
- Menzies, Richard. Passing Through: An Existential Journey Across America's Outback. Passing Through is a compilation of the most memorable "misfits" the photographer encountered during his extended travels through the Nevada backcountry. In addition to the dozens of black and white photographs, the book includes text written by Menzies about the landscape and the people he encountered.
- Thurman, Wallace. Infants of the Spring.
- Leuders, Edward. The Clam Lake Papers.
- Berry, Wendell. Hannah Coulter.
From Betsy Burton, The King's English
Novels in Hardcover
- McEwan, Ian. Saturday
- Hornby, Nick. A Long Way Down
- Lewycka, Marina. A Short History of Tractors in Ukarinian
- Pouncey, Peter. Rules for Old Men Waiting
- Krauss, Nicole. The History of Love
- Ishiguro, Kazuo. Never Let Me Go
- Allenda, Isabel. Zorro
Novels in Paper
- Haruf, Kent. Plainsong. (Salt Lake City Reads Together choice)
- Spragg, Mark. An Unfinished Life
- Goldsby, Robin Meloy. Piano Girl
- Mortimer, John. Where There's a Will
Mysteries in Paper
- Leon, Donna. Doctored Evidence
- Pears, Iain. The Immaculate Deception
From Catherine Weller, Sam Weller's Zion Bookstore
- Bonfiglioni, Kyril. Mortdecai Trilogy (Don't Point that Thing at Me, After You with the Gun, Something Nasty in the Woodshed)
- McCarthy, Cormac. No Country for Old Men (Forthcoming July 19, 2005)
- Palaniuk, Chuck. Haunted
- Urrea, Luis Alberto. The Hummingbird's Daughter
- Wodehouse, P.G. Jeeves novels
- Zafon, Carlos Ruiz. Shadow of the Wind
- Casey, Susan. Devils Teeth: A True Story of Obsession and Survival Among America's Great White Sharks
- Finkel, Michael. True Story
- Lord, M.G. Astro Turf: Private Life of Rocket Science
- McCullough, David. 1776
- Phaidon Atlas of Contemporary World Architecture: Travel Edition
- Pollack, John. Cork Boat: A True Story of the Unlikiest Boat Ever Built
- Schiff, Stacy. Great Improvisation: Franklin, France and the Birth of America
- Vandermeer, Jeff. Thackery T. Lambshead Pocket Guide to Eccentric and Discredited Diseases
- Wilsey, Sean. Oh the Glory of it All
From Janet Lund, Children's Book Specialist for Sam Weller's Zion Bookstore
- Muth, Jon. Zen Shorts
- Joose. Papa Do You Love Me?
- Bowen, Anne. Tooth Fairy's First Flight
- McDonald, Megan. Judy Moody Declares Independence
- Jenkins, Steve and Robin Page. I See a Kookaburra!
- Nolan, Lucy. Down Girl and Sit
- Lewis, J Patrick. Monumental Verses
- Carman. Dark Hills Divide
- Sage, Angie. Septimus Heap Book One MAGYK
- Chronicles of Ancient Darkness
- Paver, Michelle. Wolf Brother
- Hussey, Chamian. Valley of Secrets
- Shetterly, Robert. Americans Who Tell the Truth
- Hill, Stuart. Call of the Icemark
- Lewis, C.S. Chronicles of Narnia
- L'Engle, Madeleine. Wrinkle in Time
- Choldenko, Gennifer. Al Capone Does My Shirts
- Helprin, Mark. A Soldier of the Great War
- Moore, Christopher. Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
- Probasco, Christian. Highway 12
- Nelson, Kent. Land That Moves, Land That Stands Still
- Box, C.J. Winter Kill, Savage Run, and Trophy Hunt
- Hawn, Goldie. Goldie A Lotus Grows in the Mud
- Fonda, Jane. My Life So Far
- Gladwell, Malcolm. Blink
- Perin, Margo. How I Learned to Cook
- Miller, Rod. John Muir: Magnificent Tramp