6/19/08: Note by Note
By Doug Fabrizio
Salt Lake City, UT – There are a few places in the world where the creation of a fine instrument is a labor of love - a matter of craft more than mass production. In the new documentary "Note by Note," the filmmaker Ben Niles follows the life of such a piano. It's a 9-foot concert grand - a Steinway with a personality and character all its own. The film and the piano are in Utah this week - and Thursday on RadioWest we'll talk to Niles and others about craftsmanship, artisans and the relationship between artist and instrument.
- This Friday and Saturday nights at 7:00 p.m., Utah Symphony Principal Pianist Jason Hardink will give a special performance on the Steinway piano in the film. The performance will be followed by a screening of Note by Note. The event will be held at the Broadway Centre Cinemas in downtown Salt Lake City. Tickets are $10. For more information and other screenings of the film, call The Salt Lake Film Society at (801)321-0310.
- Visit the Note by Note website
- Purchase James Barron's Piano: The Making of a Steinway Concert Grand
- The Gina Bachauer Piano competition takes place June 23-28 in Salt Lake City. For more information, click herre
- Thanks to Daynes Music for the Steinway piano used in today's RadioWest.
- Steinway & Sons
Or shop on-line Amazon.com
for books and music from today's RadioWest. A portion of your purchase benefits KUER.