Two Measles Cases Confirmed in Utah
Two Utah County residents have tested positive for measles after a trip to Disneyland and Disney California Adventure Park in mid-December.
The two Utah cases are part of a larger outbreak being investigated in California. Health officials there have reported 7 confirmed and 3 suspected cases. Utah health department educator Rebecca Ward is using the opportunity to remind people of the importance of vaccination. The two Utahns who contracted the disease were not vaccinated.
“Measles is a very serious disease,” Ward says. “It can make you really ill, and there is a vaccine that can prevent that. The MMR vaccination is quite efficient, and 2 doses can prevent about 99 percent of cases in the United States.”
Health officials are warning the public that they might have been exposed. The two affected Utah County residents have been contagious from Dec. 27 through Jan. 5 and visited several Provo and Orem locations during that time. Ward says people that have been exposed and are having symptoms should be quarantined for 21 days. Symptoms may include fever, cough, runny nose, red, itchy eyes, and a rash that spreads and covers the body.
Health officials are urging anyone who was present at any of the following locations at the specified dates and times to contact the Utah Poison Control Center, which is screening individuals for potential exposure, at 1-800-456-7700, or visit the web site www.health.utah.gov/measles:
• FRIDAY, 12/26/14 - MACEY’S GROCERY STORE, OREM , 5:00 P.M. - 11:00 P.M.
• FRIDAY, 12/26/14 - CINEMARK MOVIES 8, PROVO, 4:00 P.M. - 8 P.M.
• FRIDAY, 12/26/14 - CARMIKE WYNNSONG 12, PROVO, 10:00 P.M. TO CLOSING
• SUNDAY, 12/28/14 - GENEVA HEIGHTS LDS CHURCH BUILDING, 847 WEST 800 NORTH, OREM, 12:30 P.M. - 7:00 P.M.
• MONDAY, 12/29/14 - WALMART, SANDHILL ROAD, OREM, 9:00 P.M. - 11:00 P.M.
• FRIDAY, 1/2/15 - OREM COMMUNITY HOSPITAL, EAST ENTRANCE LOBBY, LAB OR GIFT SHOP, OREM, 4:30 P.M. - 7:00 P.M.
• SATURDAY, 1/3/15 - TIMPANOGOS REGIONAL HOSPITAL, ER WAITING ROOM AND REGISTRATION DESK, OREM, 12:30 P.M. TO 3:30 P.M.
• SATURDAY, 1/3/15 - TIMPANOGOS REGIONAL HOSPITAL LAB WAITING ROOM, OREM, 1:30 P.M. - 3:30 P.M.
• SUNDAY, 1/4/15 - TIMPANOGOS REGIONAL HOSPITAL LAB WAITING ROOM, OREM , 1:45 P.M. - 3:45 P.M.