KUER 90.1 NPR Utah - Student Learning Opportunities & Internships
Because of your generosity during U Giving Day 2021, we exceeded our goal of $10,000! Thank you for supporting KUER's student learning opportunities and internships.
About U Giving Day:
U Giving Day 2021 is a 1,850-minute fundraiser and celebration happening February 23-24. The university-wide giving event challenges students, alumni, staff, faculty, parents, patients and friends to imagine more for the University of Utah and the programs near to their hearts. U Giving Day will raise critical funding to ensure that the university continues to support our students, research, arts & culture, leading health care and our community. KUER is participating in the day of giving to raise funds for student learning opportunities and internships.
You can make a difference in the future of journalism with your gift to KUER 90.1, NPR Utah. Utah’s statewide affiliate of National Public Radio (NPR) broadcasts from the Eccles Broadcast Center at The University of Utah. Your support today helps KUER provide professional opportunities in public radio for current students and emerging journalists.
KUER’s various learning opportunities aim to train and prepare the next generation of journalists and digital media professionals at the University of Utah and beyond. With your gift, you’ll help KUER provide students or early-career journalists with year-round paid internship and mentorship opportunities in News, Radio production, Marketing, Engineering, and Development.
- Interns may join the team at RadioWest, KUER’s weekly interview show, learning behind-the-scenes radio production, technical support, and audio editing.
- Politics interns are part of KUER’s bustling newsroom, collecting sound and producing stories at the Utah Capitol to support legislative coverage for our daily news programs.
- Hands-on Engineering interns experience mentoring opportunities in the digital and analog aspects of public radio, working with both studio equipment and transmitter sites.
- A small group of competitively selected students are invited to join KUER and NPR’s annual Next Generation Radio Project: a weeklong digital journalism and audio training program. Next Gen pairs each participant with a professional mentor to report and produce an in-depth audio story. Check out the projects of KUER’s 2020 participants here.
Thanks to the support of our generous donors, KUER is able to provide paid internship opportunities and the technical equipment necessary for a variety of student learning experiences. Every gift helps.
By making your gift today, you can help us provide the following to a student, intern, or NextGenRadio project participant:
- $25-$99 – provide journalism and audio editing training
- $100 – provide Poynter Journalism Readiness virtual training
- $200 – provide one week’s salary of paid internship
- $500 – provide one omni microphone for a student audio recording kit
- $1,000+ – provide 1:1 journalism mentoring during NextGen training in August 2021
As a token of thanks, every gift of $25 or more will automatically receive a KUER cloth face mask.
Your gift will also help us unlock our challenge grant!
KUER advisory Board member Hank Louis and his wife Diane Louis have generously offered a $5,000 challenge grant to inspire donations to KUER's Giving Day. If we reach our overall Giving Day goal of $10,000, an additional gift of $5,000 from Hank and Diane Louis will be unlocked to support the cause! Every donation, of any size, will help us get closer to this goal.
Visit KUER's donation page to view the full selection of KUER thank you gifts and to make your gift.
Students who have interned at KUER have gone on to further learning opportunities, internships and successful careers at local and national media organizations including: National Public Radio (NPR), This American Life, On Being, KUOW (Seattle), The Salt Lake Tribune, KSL, and KUER.
With your help, we can imagine more opportunities for training the next generation of public media professionals and shape the industry’s future. Your investment in KUER on this Giving Day supports the future leaders of journalism by attracting a diverse pool of young professionals to public media, supporting transformational education experiences, providing access to paid opportunities for students and giving voice to a new generation of journalists.
KUER 90.1 is intensely committed to building a community of world citizens through story and art, discussion and debate, sound and creativity. We believe fundamentally in the value of trusted, accurate news and information. Dedicated reporters and storytellers at KUER inform and engage our community with daily news coverage and weekly local programming — covering the COVID-19 pandemic, health care, the economy, racial justice, education and more.