Week 6: Tax Reform Is Shelved, Affordable Housing & The Legislature's 'Red Scare'
This week three major bills — tax reform, conversion therapy, and 4.8 percent beer — were killed in some form or another. We talk with Katie McKellar from the Deseret News about lawmakers’ efforts to address homelessness and affordable housing, and we’ve noticed a new buzzword popping up in Utah politics recently.
Bills & Issues Mentioned in this Episode:
- Tax reform is dead—for now.
- After significant changes to a bill that aimed to ban conversion therapy for minors, sponsor Rep. Craig Hall said he is pulling it.
- Lawmakers also gutted a bill to put stronger beer in grocery stores this week.
- A bill to strengthen the state’s hate crimes law passed the full Senate—the furthest it’s gone in recent years.
- Nicole talks with Deseret News reporter Katie McKellar about lawmakers’ efforts to tackle affordable housing andhomelessness. Read more of Katie’s reporting here.
- Republican lawmakers are going on the defensive to fight socialism.